You can find all of the pancreatitis supplements I use daily, here on this page. This way you don’t need to guess about what to buy or what I use. It’s all here in one spot. One stop shopping with free shipping available on qualified orders within the U.S. If you want to buy them at your own health store feel free to print this pancreatitis supplements page so you have the info.
IF I could only afford ONE of the pancreatitis supplemets I would choose Now Foods Grape Seed Extract 100mg Vcaps because grape seed extract is extremely anti-inflammatory, protects the pancreas from more damage, causes programmed cell death of cancer cells and this particular product formulation also contains 300 mgs of vitamin c in each cap. So it may not contain tons of vitamin c but it is grape seed extract and c together – 2 for one.
ALL of these pancreatitis supplements are important for various reasons the order in which the pancreatitis supplements are given means nothing in regards to importance. It is my humble opinion that grape seed extract and vitamin c are THE most important pancreatitis supplemets with curcumin and the enzymes tying for 2nd. The enzymes may prove very beneficial if you are not on an enzyme prescription such as creon.
1) Curcumin puts out the fire of inflammation and so helps control pain. Curcumin is a powerful pain reliever and one of the best pancreatitis supplements. It fights pancreas inflammation, check this research. Curcumin is also a very strong antioxidant which seems to inhibit cancer growth by actually causing cancer cells to die (according to some research). I use the Vcaps and I make sure I ingest plenty of black pepper during the day (in food) to help the absorption of the curcumin. There are those who will insist that you need to buy expensive curcumin in combo with Piperine but it seems to me that plain old black pepper works the same.
NOTE: IF you have gallstones or SOD you should probably avoid curcumin because it increases bile flow. Increasing bile flow could cause problems (passing gallstones, acute pancreatitis) you don’t want. The idea is to get well not sicker so if you have gallstones and/or SOD avoid curcumin.
2) Grape Seed Extract my personal favorite among pancreatitis supplements.
Grape seed extract is a very strong anti-inflammatory but it is also one of the most powerful antioxidants on earth and one of the few that will cross the blood-brain barrier. According to research grape seed extract causes cancer cells to die but more importantly grape seed extract helps relieve nausea and pain (at least they do for me) that we all know are two rotten symptoms of pancreatitis. Over time it helps heal the pancreas, at least it did mine but instead of simply taking me at my word read this second to the last sentence in a scholar type article: “supplementation of GSPE ameliorates chronic pancreatitis in humans.” The word ameliorates means “to make or become better, improve.” So get some and see if it works for you too. IF you can afford only ONE of the pancreatitis supplements this is the one I would personally choose because it also contains vitamin C (I use it myself daily).
3) Vitamin C is another antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and essential nutrient. Vitamin C can do so many things and it has done wonders for me, in combination with grape seed extract and curcumin. Those three pancreatitis supplements in combination are extremely powerful. In the latest news vitamin C has shown significant benefit to pancreatic cancer patients which makes it even more important in regards to prevention of pancreatic cancer in those who have chronic pancreatitis. Since chronic pancreatitis is a known risk factor for pancreatic cancer my consumption of vitamin C seems to be even more potentially beneficial. This particular formula also contains bioflavonoids and rose hips.
4) Digestive Enzymes are important pancreatitis supplements simply because your pancreas produces digestive enzymes and the less your pancreas has to work the better. If your pancreas has sustained a large amount of damage it may not produce enough enzymes to digest your food and of course this makes an enzyme supplement mandatory. The enzymes I use contain pancreatin 4X which is Amylase, Lipase and Protease.
5) Vitamins, Minerals and Antioxidants are important pancreatitis supplements simply because with pancreatitis we can often suffer from malabsorption which simply means we do not absorb the nutrients in our food like we should. Extra vitamins, minerals and antioxidants may be very helpful in providing more energy and all-around better health. This formula may not be the best but it is very close. Most ingredients are natural vitamins/minerals from plant sources. A few are synthetic, which suck compared to the real thing. This formula also uses a much higher grade of B12 and B12 is important for making blood and except for one source of sea vegetation can only be gotten from animal products. That is why I use this formula. It’s gluten free and high quality.
Well, there you have them.
Those are the pancreatitis supplements and exact formulas I use every day.
You may wish to use different brands of pancreatitis supplements.
I use those listed because they are gluten free and it is difficult to find quality, gluten free supplements. I use them, I can vouch they work. The “they work” part is important. However …
IF you decide to use other brands of the pancreatitis supplements, that is perfectly cool. Make sure you do not buy grape seed, curcumin or vitamin C that is coupled with mineral or vitamins. You want those THREE supplements to be as pure as possible so that they are non-toxic in large doses. In other words you want quality, stand-alone grape seed extract and stand-alone curcumin. The vitamin C w/bioflavonoids and rose hips.
How I Take the Pancreatitis Supplements
I take the pancreatitis supplements in this manner: one capsule each of grape seed, curcumin and vit C in the morning when I get up, usually on an empty stomach and then have my coffee and a smoke lol.
The enzymes I take (usually two) only when I eat.
Sometimes another dose (one cap each) of grape seed, curcumin and vit C mid-day.
I take my last dose of grape seed, curcumin, vit C and the all One vitamin-mineral-antioxidant drink at night before bed. I only use HALF the dose on the label of the all One powder vitamin/mineral/antioxidant formula, one rounded teaspoon instead of a tablespoon because that is all that is needed to get a good dose of nutrients and that 2.2 pound can is good for 4 MONTHS! However …
When I started with the supplements years ago (when I was still quite sick) I took grape seed extract, curcumin and vit C 4 times per day; fairly large amounts of grape seed extract (200 milligrams), 4 times per day. The curcumin I was using at that time came in much smaller amounts so it comprised about 400 mgs total per day for curcumin at that time. And the vitamin C was about 5,000 milligrams per day. I’ve taken up to 10,000 mgs per day of vitamin C with no adverse effects but some folks get stomach cramps and diarrhea with large doses of vitamin C, similar to eating to much fruit or to many green apples. So start with small doses and work up to about 4,000 – 5,000 milligrams per day.
Three pancreatitis supplements (grape seed extract, curcumin and vitamin C) are non-toxic so you can take large amounts without fear of a lethal overdose however …
When you first start out you may experience some unpleasant effects due to the fact that those powerful pancreatitis supplements are purging your body of toxic waste so it may be prudent to start off with the minimum dose of once per day. Then add another dose, then another and so on until your pain and other symptoms resolve. Then stay at a fairly strong dose until your abdomen is no longer tender and all your symptoms have resolved.
Note: It is also important to go slow with the digestive enzymes. Try one at a time at each meal to see if that is enough. If you normally get indegestion or worse after eating one may do it or you may need two but start out slow because they are caustic. To many enzymes can be just as bad, maybe worse than not enough.
I must say this – and this is important – the pancreatitis supplements work however they alone did NOT do it for me. It was the pancreatitis supplements and MY Pancreatitis Diet in combination that worked to heal my pancreas. ONE (either one) helps but will not produce healing – at least it didn’t for me. It wasn’t until I learned that I NEEDED BOTH to heal that my healing began.
I also drank large amounts of grapefruit juice, probably a gallon per day, starting in 1982 which was years before I found the pancreatitis supplements.
YES, I said a gallon.
If it wasn’t a gallon it was close to it because I drank it all day long and a lot at night and I believe it was grapefruit juice that first stopped my acute pancreatitis attacks however …
I did NOT know that until I found research several years ago that said grapefruit protected mice from acute pancreatitis. “The major finding of the present study is the demonstration for the first time that grapefruit-seed extract applied intragastrically is capable of reducing significantly the extent of pancreatitis induced …” Page 818, 2nd paragraph and you can buy white, unsweetened grapefruit juice at almost any grocery store.
Yes, I know we are not mice but I don’t think it is simply happenstance that my acute attacks resolved once I started drinking large amounts of grapefruit juice because grapefruit juice contains flavonoids similar to those which are found in larger quantities in grape seed extract.
So, get yourself the pancreatitis supplements, take them religiously for life (they are not a cure – there is no cure), adhere to my chronic pancreatitis diet and start healing. Of course you can do what you want but so far this regimen or whatever you want to call it has bought me some really good years I may not have had otherwise. In fact, I may have already been dead by now.
Ok now …
My own personal observations are that most often those pancreatitis supplements that qualify for Amazon’s “super saver” shipping at first glance may have a higher price tag BUT I have usually saved between $.25 (25 cents) to $1 per bottle when calculating the other prices of the same product after including their shipping fees. So the “super saver shipping” saves money in most instances but calculate the transactions yourself and see how you come out.
One other thing: like I have said it may be more beneficial to get your first bottles of pancreatitis supplements from your local health store. That way you can have them immediately and begin using them instead of waiting 10 days for delivery. You may pay more but you’ll have them now and may even see some good benefit within the ten day time period.
Note: I make a commission when you purchase through Amazon using my links. Thanks in advance it keeps me in coffee. 🙂
I wish you good health and pancreas healing!
The Health Guy