How would you like a nice cup of LOW Fat Hot Cocoa? You know, hot chocolate!
When the chill is in the air something chocolate, cooking on the stove can smell, well, delicious and …
On winter evenings there is nothing like a good cup of hot chocolate!
For those who have pancratitis, can tolerate no fat milk and love chocolate this is a way to get that chocolate fix you crave. 🙂
Pancreas Friendly LOW Fat Hot Cocoa (chocolate)
Before you try making low fat hot cocoa I’d suggest making sure your pancreas tolerates no fat milk. Some people do, some people don’t. I can tolerate some every now and then but definitely not every day. So test no fat milk first then try this low fat hot chocolate!
Here’s how to make homemade hot choclate that actually tastes pretty darn good and has very little fat!
Ingredients you need:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa (2 grams of fat)
- Dash salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ALCOHOL FREE vanilla extract
- 4 cups (1 qt.) NO FAT milk
- 1/3 cup hot water
- Marshmallows (if desired)
1. Stir together sugar, cocoa and salt in medium saucepan; stir in water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil and stir 2 minutes. Add milk; stirring constantly, heat to serving temperature. Do Not Boil.
2. Remove from heat; add vanilla. Beat with rotary beater or whisk until foamy. Serve topped with marshmallows, if desired. Five 8-oz. servings.
Dark Chocolate Variation:
RICH, Dark LOW Fat Hot Cocoa (chocolate)
Same as above but add an additional 2Tbsp of Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa (1 gram of fat)
Whether you tolerate no fat milk or not you’ll have to find out if you want a cup of hot chocolate. As you’ll note this makes about a quart of hot chocolate (about 5 cups) so each cup has LESS than 1 gram of fat as far as I can figure. If you only drink one cup (suggested) save the rest in the pan, put it in the fridge and re-warm it later or drink it as chocolate milk lol ?
Good luck, hope it works and you like it!
SPICED COCOA: ADD 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg. Serve with cinnamon stick, if desired.
SWISS MOCHA: ADD 2 to 2-1/2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee.
CANADIAN COCOA: ADD 1 – 2 teaspoons of pure maple syrup.
MICROWAVE SINGLE SERVING: Combine 1 heaping teaspoon HERSHEY’S Cocoa, 2 heaping teaspoons sugar and dash salt in microwave-safe cup or mug. Add 2 teaspoons cold milk; stir until smooth. Fill cup with milk. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until hot. Stir to blend; serve.